Saturday, December 31, 2011

Family Time

Sorry, no pictures in this post.

The morning of the 19th I took the train to the Arlanda Airport and headed straight to the arrival gate. My parents flight from Germany was right on schedule and before long we were reunited. An embrace bursting with love, joy and excitement that had been building for the last four months. At times it feels like the past four months have flown by, and at other times, like when I think about seeing my parents, four months feels like a long time, the longest I have gone without seeing them. Although we Skype regularly, so much is lost without the immediate person-to-person contact.

Not only was I excited to see them and be with them but I was so excited to show them my city and my new life. We took the 18 minute train ride back to Uppsala through a winter wonderland. Sweden decided to welcome my parents with a thick blanket of snow! We walked through the snowy streets of Uppsala to their hotel. We dropped off their bags and then walked down the street to Cafe Linne. I showed off my knowledge of Swedish by ordering us a delicious lunch followed by a slice of blåbär princesstårta. mmm. 

We had a fun filled week of sight seeing, fika-ing, shopping, snuggling, walking, smiling, eating, more walking,  and just absorbing. Absorbing each others company, absorbing the sights, absorbing the tastes, absorbing the sounds, absorbing Sweden. 


Highlights of the week:

Food- Peas Soup and Pancakes, Dinner at the Stationen (twice), Christmas Julbord at Lingon, princesstårta and Swedish Sandwiches, Sushi and Seaweed Salad...


Sights- Uppsala Cathedral, Uppsala Castle, the Main University Building, Stockholm, Gamla Stan, the Vasa Museum, Gamla Uppsala Viking Burial Grounds, Upland Museet, walking along the rive...


Memorable Moments- trying to comfortably sleep 3 people in 2 twin beds, nearly jumping out the window, Julbord with the homeless, Midnight Mass in the Cathedral, Kalle Anka, lots of free bus rides, running into Julian (an IC rower, graduate of SLU, and blogger of the blog I read about Uppsala before coming)... 


The most memorable moment of all was.....






(See post below)

No comments:

Post a Comment