Saturday, August 27, 2011

Flogsta

Here is Sweden students are not provided with University owned housing, it does not exist. This has actually caused a student housing crisis. Many students are living in churches or in hostels for these first few weeks while they search for a place to live. Other students maybe have a place to live for the next 2 months but then they must move so there is this every present stress of not knowing where you will be living a few months down the road.

I live in Flogsta, a student housing complex located just outside the city center (about 15-20 mins by bike). Student here pay monthly rent for a room. Each student living here has his or her own room with a private bathroom. Each corridor of about 16 students shares one kitchen. 
So far everyone that I have meet living in my corridor seems very nice and it has been very quiet. I was worried this living situation (being in the international student housing complex) could be quite loud and rowdy. 
My Building # 8

My Building has a bike shop on the first floor!

The view out my window.

Panarama of my room. It's quite large and came well furnished.

My Bathroom.

My closet is HUGE!

You know what that means.

A new Swedish wardrobe!

Here is our communal kitchen. 

So far I have enjoyed living here. Linnea and I have been cooking dinner in the kitchen in my building each night and then going over to her building for fika before heading out to the Nations Pubs. The biggest down side to living here is definitely the distance to campus. The walk/ride is fine now but thinking about the commute in the cold winter months is not pleasant.

Oh but I forgot to mention, each building has a sauna on the top floor so maybe that commute won't be so bad knowing I can come home a sauna!

No comments:

Post a Comment