Friday, October 21, 2011

First is the worst, Second is the BEST!

 Friday night I was invited to my first ever Fika Bake-Off!
A friend of a friend named Daniel who has this online magazine called GoGlocal (which Linnea and I will be writing a Fika Cafe review section for) hosted this wonderful gathering. A mix of different backgrounds, home counties and academic interest were present at this party. There were Russians, a South Africa, English Masters Students, a Colombian, Sustainable Development masters students... you name it they were probably there.

Anyway, everyone prepared some sort of dessert, we sliced, sampled and voted. 
Below is just a sample of the desserts created, a few more arrived after the photo was taken






Clockwise starting in far left corner: Apple Cake, Spice Cookies, Blueberry Tart, Brownies, Kladdkaka, Cheese and Jam Puffs, Russian Apple Cake, German Apple Cake, Raspberry Lemon Bar (made by us), Banana cake, Pineapple Pie.
 Items that went un-photographed include another fudgey chocolate brownie/tort, Blueberry upside-down cake (my personal favorite apart from my own) and a few more that I am forgetting.

Daniel instructing us to dig in!

Slicing Away!
After sampling nearly all of the desserts I had 3 clear favorites.
1. Raspberry Lemon Bars- Linnea, Amy & I
2. Blueberry Upsidedown cake-? didn't catch her name
3. Kladdkaka with berries on top- the Swede and South African Couple

Votes were cast (we each got to vote for our top two choices and we could vote for our own), votes were tallied and then drum roll please..... 
3rd place- The cheese and Jam puff (a Spanish treat)
2nd place- A tie between our Raspberry Lemon Bars and the Kladdkaka!
1st place- Pineapple Pie made by the host Martina

I have to admit I did not care for the pineapple pie. That is probably because I do not really like cooked pineapple but it seems to be a big thing here in Sweden. There are many sweets which feature pineapple. Two each their own. I am happy with second place because here in Sweden it is not about being number one. Everything is just logam. 

1 comment:

  1. awesome, so what did the South African bring, milk tart ?

    ReplyDelete