Sunday, October 16, 2011

International Gasque

Pre-Gasque Photo Shoot:




I braided Linnea's hair
 


This Gasque (unlike the others) was for the International Students and for that reason it was missing the true Swedish Spirit that made the last gasque so much fun. I cannot say that I did not have a good time but  it was not the gasque itself that was fun. Like at all gasques you are assigned seats, usually in boy-girl-boy-girl order but when we walked in Linnea and I were extremely overwhelmed by the amount of drunken people and we lost all desire to socialize. Linnea found her spot and then came and stood next to me until my seat partner arrived. She politely asked if he would be willing to switch and he happily agreed because her seat was near some of his friends (how perfect!).

Lots of people. This was just 2/3 of the room.
Without Linnea by my side I don't think I would have made it through the evening. The entire night  felt like Linnea and I were watching a sitcom or a Saturday Night Live Skit. 
Across from me sat a girl from Scotland. She was bizarre. She left multiple times during the evening and each time she returned she would ask me the same questions, on of which was "Oh My God, are you a veggie??? AH me too!"
Next to her was a Swedish guy. He was nice and normal but fell into the trap of the girl next to him.
She was from California and everything about her screamed dumb valley girl (sorry to be so cynical, I am just setting the scene). She sang every song extremely loud, extremely off key, and faster than everyone else. She asked the dumbest questions and said the most outrageous things. For example she asked the Korean girl sitting across from her if she was from North or South Korea!

Linnea and I spent the entire evening hysterically laughing. We were nearly rolling around on the floor with laughter out of sheer disbelief. 

Now on the the food:
The Menu
Vegetarian Appetizer: Asparagus with Sprouts, Sunflower Seeds and Lingonberry Balsamic Sauce. Quite tasty.
It took so long for the vegetarian meal to arrive. I came out probably 25-30 minutes after everyone else had been served. By the time it finally arrived I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture until I had already started eating.
2 Portobella Mushrooms Stuffed with Feta Cheese, Ratatouille and Steams Broccoli and Cauliflower. So Good!

 Throughout the evening we were serenaded with various musical performances:

Traditional Folk Music.
Men's Choir singing to a girl chosen out of the audience. 
Oh and I almost forgot. One more weird thing happened. After dinner Linnea and I got up to go to the toilet and when we returned there was some loud Australian girl sitting in Linnea's seat. She saw Linnea approach and she was like "oh is this your seat? Just come sit on my lap!" Linnea looked at her and was like "uhh no that's okay." This somehow really offended the Australian girl. She said, to no one in particular "well jeez, I am just trying to be friendly but some people are just so rude!" She got up, moved a few seats down and proceed to tell all her friends what just happened and how unbelievable Linnea's response was.
 
What a night. 

2 comments:

  1. Pretty girls :-)

    I have the same IKEA bag, that stands right next to Linnea, for my paper recycling. IKEA unites the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to repost this on my blog, that was a good way to sum up the evening. What a night!!

    ReplyDelete