Friday, October 28, 2011

Weather Update

There is a saying in Sweden that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. I am beginning to understand what they mean. While the weather has been quite nice, warmer and less rainy then usual I can definitely feel the shitty weather of November slowly approaching. Every Swede I have talked to says that November is the worst month here in Sweden. It is supposedly cold and rainy all the time- bone chilling dampness.  

Rather than dwell on what is yet to come, I am focusing on living in the present moment. It seems that is what you must do. I have no control over the weather and therefore have stopped checking the forecast. Whatever happens- rain, sun, snow or fog my life will continue. It's all about wearing the appropriate clothing. I was in an outdoor store the other day and they were selling snow skirts, like snow pants but it was a skirt! You can be trendy and warm :)

Fall is in full swing. The leaves have changed and are beginning to fall littering the once green ground with warm shades of red and gold. As I ride my bike into town each day I smell the characteristic fragrences of fall- dry leaves, moist earth,  and bonfires. 

Speaking of moist earth, the humidity here is outrageous! For the past week the ground always looks as through it has just rained but it has not. The moisture in the air causes the ground to remain wet. It seems like the rain is coming out of the ground. In the evening you can actually see the moisture as the air temperature cools and the ground retains its warmth the moisture rise up creating and eerie swam-like fog. A perfect habitat for all the fairies and gnomes living in the forests.

This past week and the coming week is suppose to be in the low 50's during the day an only dropping down to the mid-to-low 40's at night. 
 The sun is now setting at 5:00 and does not rise until 8:00. After turning the clocks back this weekend the sun will be setting around 4:00. I am excited to see what it is going to be like! If the excitement wears off lucky for me I can go sit in the light room at the gym to boost my spirits! 

One final note- I saw the Aurora Borealis last night as I was ridding home from class!! The whole sky was pitch black except for one section which was glowing green. My friend said to me "whoa look at the sky I wonder why its so light over there?" We both stopped and realized it was the Northern Lights!! We shrieked and happily cycled home. 
I did not witness an amazing light show this time but I will continue to be on the look out and hopefully I will be able to capture on my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment