Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Ball? On a Monday?

Yup. I am living in a fairytale. 

Monday night was the KMK Ball; a ball for the ämbetsman of all 13 nations.
I had a final presentation to give on Tuesday so I spent all of Monday working on my presentation. As the evening rolled around I wasn't sure if I was going to go to the Ball because I still had a bit of work to do. I was contemplating whether or not to go for about half an hour. I convinced myself that I should just stay in and finish my work but then all of a sudden I realized I had made the wrong choice. I decided to seize the moment and go to the Ball. This was a once in a life time opportunity that I could not pass up. It was 6:36 (guests were suppose to arrive at 6:30) I threw on my dress, put my hair in a french braid and jumped on my bike. I cycled down to VG as fast as I could. I was peddling so hard my chain popped off twice along the way. 
I arrived at VG at 6:48, parked my bike, ran inside to wash the chain grease off my hands. 
Although most of the VG  ämbetsman had already left to go to Norrlands Nation, Nico and Anders had not left yet. After I washed up, together we walked to Norrlands just half a block away. 
We arrived just as everyone was just filling in. We were right on time.
The Entry.
That entry way, the steep marble staircase, the men in tuxedos and tails and the women in long ball gowns, it was surreal. I felt like I was a princess in a Disney movie.

Table mates, both VG and non-VG members.
The Dining Room.
The other side of the Dining Room.
Just a few seat down from where I was sitting was the dashing birthday boy, Linus. 
He and Hanna are both lunchvärd at VG and are so so nice. After our appetizer the people sitting in the seats between Linus and I left to have a smoke so I scooted down to chat for a bit.
 And of course we had a brief photo shoot.

Hanna och Linus
Hanna, Linus och Jag

  I moved back down to where I had been assigned to sit and snapped up some photo's of my dining companions. I had so much fun sitting with these guys and gal. They were really funny and friendly.

Angelica and Texas (yes that is really his name)
Jolly.
Martin and I.


 Martin used to study nursing but now studies psychology and music.  We had an interesting conversation about spiritual healing, hypnosis, and holistic health.

Angelica studies speech pathology. She was sweet, silly, and social.
Texas is a Swede who studies everything. He is big, loud, and goofy.

Angelica and Texas.

Dinner- Fried Cheese with Mashed Potatoes, Lingon and Gravy, with a garnish of Greens.
 After dinner there was a shot pause. Everyone split up and took a "mellan supa" or "in between drink" at once of the nations near by. On the way out more photos of friends were taken.
Tobias and Linnea.
Linnea and Hanna.

Walking to VG for the mellan supa.
 After the pause, we returned to Norrland to find dessert waiting for us at the table.



 

Some sort of Raspberry Whipped Cream.
Just like any Gasque this evening was filled with singing. All the singing  was especially fun this evening because each nation has their own little traditions which we got to witness. At one point all of the VG members sang a song that only they knew (a super fast song that I haven't learned yet). Then, during other songs some nations had hand gestures to go along with the words or would add extra versus to the end of the song. How fun.


Anders is really getting into the song! ha
Songs with hand gestures, caught in the action
Makes singing more fun!
 I took a video of us singing and gesturing. I am still trying to figure out how to get it off my camera and into this post. Hopefully I will post it soon. Its quite a sight to see!


All in all this was a fabulous night. I am so glad I ended up going!!
I will remember this Monday night Ball for the rest of my life. 



4 comments:

  1. Ball gown, bicycle grease ,and carpe diem, will all be on the new McGuire family crest! You are fantastic Avery! xoxo M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice experience. I had no idea that Swedish people party in style all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I feel like you're studying abroad in a Swedish version of Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that is a pretty accurate statement.

    ReplyDelete